Literature on Compilers
Books suggested by members of the
Pascal Compiler mailing list:
- Compilers: Principles, Techniques, and Tools. Aho, Sethi, and Ullman, Addison-Wesley,
1986. This is the classic "dragon" book. It covers a wide range of topics
and is used as a textbook for compiler classes.
- Compiler Construction. Niklaus Wirth, Addison-Wesley, 1996. He develops
an Oberon-0 compiler in Oberon using recursive descent. Oberon-0 is a cut down version
- Compiler Construction: A Recursive Descent
Model. John Elder, Prentice
Hall, 1994. Describes compiler design for languages in the Pascal family using recursive
- Writing Compilers and Interpreters: An Applied
Approach. Ronald Mak, John
Wiley & Sons, 1991. There is a more recent version. This book is very practical.
It shows you step by step how to create a Pascal compiler (in C, unfortunately).
- Advanced Compiler Design and Implementation. Steven S. Muchnick, Morgan Kaufmann Publishers,
- CodeWarrior Plug-ins SDK. Metrowerks.
- The PowerPC Compiler Writer's Guide (Web only). Steve Hoxey & others, IBM,
Other Compiler books found at Amazon.com:
- Art of Compiler Design, The: Theory and Practice. by Thomas Pittman, James Peters, Prentice
- Building an Optimizing Compiler . by Robert Morgan, Digital Press, 1998.
- Compiler Design (International Computer Science). by Renhard Wilhelm, Addison-Wesley, 1995.
- An Introduction to Compiler Construction. by Thomas W. Parsons, W H Freeman &
- Linkers and Loaders (Operating Systems). by John R. Levine, Ap Professional, 1999.
- An Algebraic Approach to Compiler Design. by A. Sampaio, World Scientific Pub Co,
- Loop Transformations for Restructuring Compilers. by Utpal Banerjee, Kluwer Academic Publishers,
- Compilers for beginners : Let's
build a compiler! by Jack
techniques an html course.
- Code generation: the approach of
- Three oberon-related pdf document
- Apple documentation :
thoughts of James L. Peterson on writing Pascal Compiler
- Data Sheets
on PIC 16C74 series PICmicro Devices.